Wednesday, February 23, 2022

Doris Troy: JUST ONE LOOK, The Demo That Got the Deal with Atlantic Records / APOLLO SATURDAY NIGHT / THE RAINBOW TESTAMENT

 The Demo That Got The Deal (TM)
 Conceived, Produced and Written by Joe Viglione

(C)2022 All Rights Reserved

JUST ONE LOOK, 7-1-2000
https://youtu.be/2tCvlZbEBbs

DORIS TROY'S DEMO THAT GOT THE DEAL WITH
ATLANTIC RECORDS 
https://youtu.be/2tCvlZbEBbs

Hear Doris Troy talk to me on WMFO July 1, 2000 ---twenty-two years ago
https://youtu.be/2tCvlZbEBbs

LISTEN TO THE SONG HERE

https://youtu.be/I8OQVUS6YuY

 The Hollies hit with Just One Look

in the U.K. in 1964

Here they are looking like the Beatles, but their voices hitting the notes Doris Troy (famous on The Dark Side of the Moon, Pink Floyd) the Hollies were able to sing.

https://youtu.be/CJee_H1JMh0

 

Just One Look 

FEATURING MY FRIENDS

DORIS TROY (VOCALS)

BERNARD "PRETTY" PURDIE (DRUMS)

THE DEMO THAT WAS THE DEAL!  

MAY 11, 2016

INTERVIEW WITH BERNARD PURDIE

https://www.mixcloud.com/joe-viglione/joe-vig-pop-explosion-may-11-2016-first-anniversary-on-bfr-with-bernard-purdie-frank-dello-stritto/


The Demo That Got the Deal for Doris Troy
July 1, 2000

JV: And that’s Doris Troy with Lyin’ Eyes, the Eagles’ tune and Doris is on the phone
DT Yes, I am
JV: Doris, it’s good to hear from you
DT: It’s good to talk to you, Joe
JV: You Sound great
DT: I feel better
JV: This record (Lyin Eyes) was on Metromedia way back in 1974, I’m sorry, Midland International Part of RCA.  How did this come about?
DT: Well, I was working out there with a guy named Artie Ripp and I was writing tunes at his company and this song came through and they said “Do you like this song?” I said “I Love this song” I think this is a great song, and sure enough they did it. And I’m so happy about it
JV: Who’s backing you up on this record? Do you remember?
 
DT: No, I don’t. I think I did some harmonies and then I think we called in some people to come and do it.  

JV: We were talking a little earlier, I was at Little Walter’s house, the DJ, yesterday. And he just made a new record 1:14 for Dion DiMucci UM the guy with Runaround Sue

DT: Yes


JV: Ah, He gave us Dion’s brand new record  and I said “Doris Troy's going to be on my show tomorrow” and he said  "Ask her about the Drifters!"
DT: Yeah! I did a lot of stuff with The Drifters at Atlantic in the early days. Even before
Just One Look”  came out I used to do a lot of sessions for Atlantic Records and we had a lot of fun doing it...Solomon Burke and the Drifters ...and quite a few other Atlantic artists
JV: So Dionne Warwick sang with you
DT: Dionne Warwick, her sister Dee Dee Warwick and a lady named Judy Clay, Cissy Houston, we were the top singers background singers in those days, even before Dionne had a record.
JV:Little Walter said that! He said you were the best
DT: Thanks Thanks a lot.

JV: He remasters a lot of the old records   He did the entire Fats Domino collection.
DT: He did?
JV:He works for a German company,
DT: Aha
JV:although right now he’s remastering the entire Vee-Jay catalogue
DT: Oh
JV:So the whole thing is right in his basement, right here in Medford

DT: Right on. And Vee-Jay Records that used to be with Dee Clark on there?


JV: I believe so
 


 

DT: Yeah Because he did one of my songs, in fact one of my songs was called "How About That" and it was the name of his album. Way back.

 
JV So that was before "Just One Look?"
 

DT: Oh yeah


JV: So you were a songwriter of renown before your hit?
DT: I was working on it!


JV: I love what David Nathan wrote about you in "The Soulful Divas"
DT: What'd he say?
 

JV: Well, first I want to say thank you for turning me on to that book
 

DT It's a fabulous book, isn't it?
 

 


 

JV It's incredible, what a great idea. He was talking about all your work in New York and "Just One Look," and that was the demo that got you the deal with Atlantic ?
DT Yes it was.We made it in the basement of 1650 Broadway ...it was just 4 tracks, and we brought the musicians in and I had to overdub the alto part ...and my partner who was Gregory, …Gregory Carroll, he did the high part like a girl and that's how we got the 3 part harmony
and what happened was, I started coughing right in the middle of a take ...and I said ...just one look ..and I felt so ah aha ah (coughing sounds) and I started coughing...and the guy that was in the booth said "Wait a minute, wait a minute. Let's start all over again. Let's Keep That In!"
DT: And I said, ok, let me think about it. So, then we decided, every other few lines that I would do the little break up of the words and that's how we got the little hook
Just one look, I felt so uh, uh uh that part
   




JV:That's great
DT Isn't that cute?
JV Now, Artie Ripp worked with you on that?
DT: Yes he did
JV: So you have a long relationship with Artie?
DT: Well, just for that period of time.  And then I did work some stuff out there at his studio.
4He had a little studio out there in California and I did some stuff out there with him for a little while and that's how we did the Midsong thing (Midsong International, 1977)

JV:The Midsong thing, That was done in California

DT: Yes

JV: How nice, the Eagles and California kinda go hand in hand

DT: Laughs      


 
JV: What happened after you did the four track, who brought it to Atlantic

DT: Well, what happened was I was working out of the publishing company and we got news that Chuck Jackson wanted somebody to sing on his song "Tell him I’m not home"...and so the girl that did it, they didn't like what she did so they asked my company would I, you know, come and do it for them. I said "sure."  And so, I went and did it and I just had to say "Tell him I’m not home," and sure enough, he was getting ready to go on tour and I told the publisher I said "Listen, why don't you call Atlantic and tell them to put my record out ...because I'm going on the road with Chuck Jackson. 
DT: They said, well, get the itinerary and let us know what's happening and I did it right away. And sure enough they put my record out ...just as it was, the demo, they tried to clean it up a little bit ...and they had to pay all the musicians a regular session fee because they had only got demo fees. So they got regular session fees and they were free to go head on and release that record.  And every place we went down through the south...and every place we went..."Just One Look" was like playing on every station.  And sure enough, I was the opening act with Don Gardner and Dee Dee Ford and then by about the middle of the ...about a few weeks into the tour then Chuck said "listen you got to close just before me and do your song, "Just One Look."  And so that's what happened and that song just turned out to be a smash

JV: Doris, you're telling me that the four track you did, which was the demo,
DT: Yeah
JV:Is actually the song that we hear
DT: That's right
JV: That's stunning. So they didn't put you into a bigger studio
DT: oh no, no ,no, no we didn't have time for that  no no no It's just as it was. Can you imagine?
That record was hot at the time that all the other people had big strings and all kinds of orchestration and all that kind of stuff, and all we had was just four musicians that over-dubbed, once, and I overdubbed once, the backing vocals
JV: Now would you mind if we played the tune right now?
DT: I'd Love for you to play the tune right now
JV: Great, and then we'll come back and talk to Doris Troy on the Folk and Good Music Show Saturday Afternoon, July 1 (2000) "Just One Look"  (6:30)
 





    *  

Joe Viglione / Varulven Records
P.O. Box 2392
Woburn MA 01888



Motown rarely did covers, but isn't it interesting that when it came to Bobby Hebb's "Sunny" and Doris Troy's "Just One Look" they made exceptions!

Mary Wells

https://youtu.be/-HreP5b6OpM 

Martha Reeves and the Vandella's

https://youtu.be/GM1J5q1qQC4

 Another interesting fact is that Motown usually cut one track and had their artists sing on the same backing recording.  With "Sunny"
there were different versions by Marvin Gaye, different from the two by Stevie Wonder, separate from the FourTops versions and Mary Wells, who had left Motown by that point.

Same with these renditions by Mary Wells and Martha and the Vandella's for Doris Troy's amazing 1963 hit.    These recordings, though very nice, don't touch the majesty of Doris Troy's Atlantic demo, which is so in the pocket.

Eddie Lovett's reggae version is also very, very good

https://youtu.be/LwRpkgtfRGY

LULU

Lulu performed with Bobby "Sunny" Hebb's daughter in February of 2014.  I helped put artists on the show at the Apollo Theater.  Here's Lulu with her quasi-reggae version

https://youtu.be/Dr1Prr629EI  This is second only to Doris



So happy to see my reviews on Amazon Canada, Parsifal and Xiapi! God Bless All Music for getting the work, and my byline, out to the world!

DORIS TROY, THE APOLLO 


Description

Track Listing:
The Falcons: 1. I Found a Love - 2:53   2. Alabama Bound - 2:50   Otis Redding: 3. Pain in My Heart - 2:18   4. These Arms of Mine - 2:28   Doris Troy: 5. Misty - 2:12   6. Say Yeah - 2:27   Rufus Thomas: 7. Rockin' Chair - 3:03   8. Walking the Dog - 2:25   The Coasters: 9. 'Tain't Nothing to Me - 4:19   10. Speedo's Back in Town - 3:01   Ben E. King: 11. Groovin' - 2:26   12. Don't Play That Song (You Lied) - 3:01   13. Stand by Me 2:23   Finale: 14. What'd I Say - 1:15

Reviews:    https://www.parsifal.be/product/cd/cd-blues/various-apollo-saturday-night/

1. AllMusic - Joe Viglione
On November 13, 1963, as veteran producer/liner-notes writer Bob Altshuler explains, "Atco microphones were positioned on the Apollo stage" after the showing of a film preceding this concert, which began "a few minutes before twelve o'clock." Decades later, this material by Doris Troy, Otis Redding, Rufus Thomas, the Falcons, the Coasters, and Ben E. King remains a vital document of a special time when entertainment was pure and remarkable. Opening with Wilson Pickett and Eddie Floyd's version of the Falcons, the tone is set for the album, sticking to deeper cuts from the various artists' catalogs and shying away from their hits, with the exception of "Walking the Dog" from Rufus Thomas and headliner Ben E. King's "Stand By Me." The two Otis Redding tracks were taped more than a year and a half before his first Top 40 hit, while the former Apollo Theater usherette who followsRedding on this set, the marvelous Doris Troy, was riding high with "Just One Look" on the charts a few months before this taping. That gem isn't here, but her unique interpretation of "Misty" and her own "Say Yeah" are. Every one of the performances is top-notch, concluding with a finale where all concerned do a short rendition of Ray Charles' "What I'd Say." Essential entertainment.

 

_____________________________________________________________

Doris Troy

Lazy Days (When Are You Coming Home)

 

https://www.allmusic.com/song/lazy-days-when-are-you-coming-home-mt0009282951

Song Review by Joe Viglione  [-]

A slow love song from the original Just One Look album, the two minutes and fifty seconds of this Doris Payne/Gregory Carroll co-write capture the emotions of someone listening to Nat King Cole's "Those Lazy Hazy Crazy Days of Summer" without being part of the beach party

fun, the yearning from The Happenings "See You In September" stretched out into a lonely season but missing that someone special. It's a great R & B ballad with another terrific Doris Troy vocal, taking the teen heartbreak of a Lesley Gore or Robin Ward hit and bringing those feelings into an adult cabaret setting. Co-songwriter Carroll adds his vocal arrangements and vocal accompaniment to the piano heavy question to a lover who went away on vacation with no definite return time. Doris Troy takes the girl group sound into an adult contemporary arena with her serious reading of material which, if put in the hands of The Shangri Las or The Chiffons, would take on an entirely different meaning. She truly was the female Nat King Cole as evidenced by her live performance on the Apollo Saturday Night album or this tune of hopeful desire. 

__________________________________________________________ 



Doris Troy (album) - Wikipedia

In his review of Troy's 1972 album The Rainbow Testament, Joe Viglione of AllMusic describes Doris Troy as her "critically acclaimed album on Apple".








____________________________________________________________

https://xiapi.quotsoft.net/album/jj/jJYJ12363/


https://www.amazon.ca/Apollo-Saturday-Night-Various/dp/B001O2ZVL6


No comments:

Post a Comment

Marcy Chin on the Beam FM Live / Jourdan #Money @WBCARadio

  Jourdan #Money see review https://btdradio.com/2023/11/25/btd-song-review-money-by-jourdan/ on @WBCARadio 102.9 fm Boston @zionrock @...