Sunday, May 22, 2022

The Lou Spinnazola D.J. Interview: INSIDE THE SPIN ROOM Mixcloud Monday May 30 2022 Phase 2 of The Spin Room Begins!

 Musician Greg Paquette introduced me to disc jockey Lou Spinnazola.  Lou is starting his show up again Monday nights 8-midnight, now on Mixcloud.  Interview conducted Sunday 5/22/22.

Spin room on Mix Cloud Monday May 30...the show begins anew


The Spin Room now on Mixcloud starting Monday May 30, 2022.  Here are two links: https://www.mixcloud.com/live/lspin/

The link is functional Mondays 8 pm to midnight mixcloud.com/lspin
Lou plans to be back on 5/30 on Mixcloud. ��

    Lou's Twitter
 
   The Spin Room Twitter 
    
    Lou Spinnazola on Facebook


JV: Lou, how long have you been in radio?   

 LS: Technically, I’ve never been a radio professional, but I’ve always had a passion for it. It just never seemed like a good way to build a career. So in my 50s, I participated in a show hosted by my friend John Scavo, “The Scratchy 45s and Beyond, on WSCA-LP in Portsmouth, NH” I did some co-hosting, research and lots of production. I even did production for the rest of the station. It was a real joy ____________________________________________________


 . JV: When did The Spin Room start on Camup?    LS: After some coaxing from my friend John (see above), I decided to host a show on “The Seacoast,” a web-casting station offering programs seven days a week. I wasn’t sure I’d like it because I didn’t want to have to just play the hits. I don’t like hearing or playing ‘just the hits.’ But it worked out well. I loved it. That was in August of 2016. I’d been casting there up until May 9, 2022, when I’ve decided to move the show to Mixcloud.com.

 https://twitter.com/TheSpinRoom00


 JV: Tell us about Mixcloud. You've been airing some shows on MixCloud as well as a brunch midweek, is that right?  LS: Mixcloud is a web service that hosts independent disc-jockeys and people like me who want to be disc-jockeys. They’ve been around for several years. I’ve been archiving many of my past Spin Room shows there for a time. Lately, I’ve been hosting an hour long show on Wednesdays at 12:00 noon on a channel named, “The Gator Mix.” I was invited to participate by the owner of the channel, Scott Polley, so I couldn’t say no.

 

 


  JV: Will you have a chat room simultaneous with MixCloud airings? If so, what address?   LS: Yes, there will be a chatroom available to people who have a valid account (paid or unpaid). That way, we can catch up and chat while the tunes play. It’s also a really great way to pass along suggestions, requests or interesting facts about the music being played.


 
JV: Have you been on other radio stations? 

LS: I’ve only been as a caller. That’s it. 


JV: What's the vision for the new Spin Room?  LS: “Meet the new Spin Room, same as the old Spin Room.” It will basically be the same. I never create much of a play list except for songs that have been requested or something that I find so interesting, I have a need to share. Everything else is by the seat of the pants. I rely on music conversations or requests made by others which help me to choose what’s up next. I try to keep it somewhat in context for at least a short set. I will generously sprinkle in hits as long as they’re somewhat in context with the discussion or with a train of thought. And, of course, we will feature, “Spin After Dark,” to wind it all down.
 

JV: Tell us about your favorite artists over the past 50 years?

 LS:  There are so many!  But at the top are The Beatles (of course), Chicago, Steely Dan, 10cc, Santana, The Cars, Traffic, Huffamoose…  Damn so many!  I also really enjoy bands that had one or two hits.  I also love to discover Rock Genealogies trying to learn where the influences came from. But seeing all of that would make it seem as though I’m locked into Classic Rock, but I am absolutely not.  I love hearing new things that might be the next sound that really excites me.  That’s where you’ve come in, Joe.  You’ve introduced me to a lot of new artists who are making fantastic, new music!  Thank you for that.



 

 

 

 JV: Tell us about you

LS:  I grew up in Boston’s North End, born in the late 50s.  For every day of my life, there has been a radio playing.  I still can’t live without some type of music going in the background.  I was drawn to the people who were radio announcers, hosts or DJs.  I envied that they could play their music and talk to people like me, listening and hanging on every word, every bad joke.  I started buying my own music in 1969/70 and I’ve been collecting ever since.  I attended Boston Public Schools and U. Mass – Boston.  I have spent most of my working career in IT.  I’m a nerd, but my love for photography, music, travel and Deb keep me balanced
.  


JV: Thanks for participating, Lou



 

 







No comments:

Post a Comment

TALITHA JAE on Radio What, KB Radio, Joe Viglione on Frank Rossano's Ultimate Radio, Amazing Radio, Phil daRosa and Jourdan on WBCA Wesrok on BTD Radio

  Butterflies and Anxiety #TalithaJae @Talithajae  "I really liked the song and thought it has good crossover appeal, so will be ad...