Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Club Bohemia Interviews T Max of THE NOISE.

 

Photos courtesy of T Max

https://www.facebook.com/tee.max.3

Q: What is Timothy Maxwell (T Max) up to musically these days, November 2020?

A: After setting up a live performance club (First Avenue Lounge in Salem MA), co-hosting (with Julie Dougherty) an Open Mic at the Salem VFW twice a month, and releasing my 18th recording project (Kisses & Hugs on Dove Records) the dreaded Covid hit and on March 16 all my scheduled live shows got cancelled. Depression set in for a while and I'm now writing new songs with plans to record and release them in 2021.

Q: The Boston Music scene has gone virtual, and no one saw this coming, what can musicians do to keep the spirit of
entertainment happening in these parts?

A: Put some extra creative ideas into your virtual performances. Keep your audience's attention. Soon a vaccine will be here and slowly live music will return to normal.  Support each other for the time being.

Q: Back in the day we played the Paradise with your band The Machines. How did the Machines start?

A: After leaving ArtYard, I found Teddy Virgin (RIP) in a classified ad and our styles complimented each other. Our 45 "Disposable Music"/"Analog" got lots of airplay on college radio and was featured on WBCN.

Q: Thanks for finding me bassist Teddy Rodden (stage name - Teddy Virgin) who played in my band for about a year.  Who was the Machines' drummer? and how did you encounter these players?

A: Teddy found the hard hitting drummer Bobby Comb in the Lowell/ Tewksbury area.

Q: How did you write "Disposable Music" and did the Machines ever make a CD?

A: I remembered how when I was young I'd play some 7" vinyl records so much that they would wear thin. "Disposable Music" is all about that process. A Machines' CD never materialized.

Q: How did publishing THE NOISE impact your own musical endeavors?

A: The Noise would host monthly shows at the Middle East. I'd book these performances and have my band, whether it be The Machines or The Borg open some. Running the magazine connected me with who I considered the best musicians in the area. Because of that, Boston Rock Opera came alive. I hand-picked the cast of Jesus Christ Superstar and every show we ever did of that sold out. I produced the early performances and took on the role of the high priests, Annas, singing those high lines "what then to do about Jesus of Nazareth?" 

Q: Publishing a magazine can be hectic.  Are you enjoying quiet time or do you miss dropping the zine off to different clubs and engaging with the scene during the daylight hours?

A: I miss driving all over New England distributing the Noise and seeing what other cities had to offer. I don't miss the hectic, high pressure job of editing and publishing a local music magazine. I'm really enjoying a more relaxed lifestyle.

Q: Will you work on a new album, or a compilation of T Max Through the Years?

A: I haven't decided to do a compilation of my own material (The Greatest Hits & Misses of T Max), but do plan to continue releasing material.

Q: What is T Max doing outside of music for fun, relaxation or both?

A: Gardening has taken the place of doing the Noise. I love growing my own herbs and vegetables. For the first time this year I've put effort in flowers - planting over 100 bulbs about a month ago. My most fun times come from training and relating to a wild squirrel I've named Bennie. You can see a lot of her on my Facebook site - Facebook.com/tee.max.3


Q: Anything you'd like to say to the Club Bohemia readers?

A: A big hi to Mickey Bliss - my twin (we were born on the same day, same year). And to the readers, keep supporting Club Bohemia - do what ever you can to help out - perform, do some behind the scene work and/or just be a good fan.


Thanks for your time, T 

T MAX

The Noise 10th Anniversary (part 3): 

T Max & Izzy / Doug Thoms 09-29-1991


from the Francis DiMenno archive (NP#38), shot by Francis DiMenno (a.k.a. The Wrong Hero), master VHS restored by Greg Dalton-Kay, 2019 recorded at The Middle East Cafe, Cambridge MA, USA

No comments:

Post a Comment

TALITHA JAE on Radio What, KB Radio, Joe Viglione on Frank Rossano's Ultimate Radio, Amazing Radio, Phil daRosa and Jourdan on WBCA Wesrok on BTD Radio

  Butterflies and Anxiety #TalithaJae @Talithajae  "I really liked the song and thought it has good crossover appeal, so will be ad...