Monday, May 27, 2019

June 1 @ The Middle East - The Reunion

Gary Shane and the Detour  2019




With Cowboy Mach Bell on drums from Thundertrain

Will Hunt on guitar, vocal, flute
Larry Newman on bass

Gary Shane & The Detour will Perform @
The Middle East Saturday June 1, 2019

Find some fun links on Gary’s website

http://garyshane.com/music.html

LARRY NEWMAN- Bassist

I started playing bass and singing with Gary Shane in the Spring of 2018.  I was looking for a bass gig and put it out there on Facebook and Gary contacted me.   We had met back in the mid-eighties but never played together. I started out my career in Ann Arbor and Detroit Michigan in the late 70s with a band called THE INFIDELS, my original material, playing guitar. Then I had an opportunity to join BOMP recording artists, NIKKI & THE Corvettes on bass and recorded and toured around the world with them for several years. I also played with a Stones type band called HOI POLLOI and had a Rockabilly band called the Mustangs that toured the U.S. and Canada.  

I came back to Boston around 1985 and joined a band called THE REAL.  A few months ago I met Tim and Judy Sprague who asked me to start playing with Crow Follow, as their previous bass player was getting busy with another project.

I'm looking forward to working with them when Agent Judy recovers.

Incidentally I met (Gary Shane drummer) Mach (Bell) back in 1974 or 75 when THUNDERTRAIN played at my high school and at the Rat, it was great to reunite and start playing with him last summer at The Rat Beach Party. We hope to play as many shows as we can this summer. I also do some solo and duo stuff up in Maine and NH, I currently live in Kittery, Maine I have a Kinks Tribute band called PRESERVATION that will be playing at Tavern at The End of the World in July


MACH BELL
A Q & A with Cowboy Mark

Q:When did you guys join up with Gary Shane and the Detour?

A:I first (unexpectedly) played (drums) with the Detour on Thursday Aug. 30, 2018.

Q:How many people play with Gary in his current Detour lineup?

A:The regular quartet is Gary Shane (lead voc, gtr), Will (lead gtr, flute, voc), Larry (bass, voc) and me Mach (drums).  On tour we have been joined by backing vocalists, percussionists, harp players, horn sections, violinists, occasional celebrities... 

Q:When did Mach Bell join the Detour?

A: 
I went to see Gary Shane play at the Rat Reunion Party 2018 on Nantasket Beach. 
I knew Gary from when he was on the bill with my bands The Hits, Mag 4 and the Joe Perry Project. When I heard talk at the bar that the Detour drummer was a no-show - I offered to help out on the skins. 

Q:Mach, when was the last Thundertrain reunion and how did it go?

A:Thundertrain rocked a crowd of over 10,000 at Jet Blue Park in Fort Myers FL on St. Patrick’s Day 2018.  We opened for Boston Red Sox vs. Tampa Bay. (Sox won).
That day we performed with our original “Live at the Rat” line-up - excepting our dear departed drummer, Bobby Edwards.

Q:Will this lineup of the Detour perform any Thundertrain or any other music from the Boston scene?

A:Gary Shane changes our set every time I’ve played with him. Surprises every night.
Sometimes Gary performs his Boston scene 80’s hits “Shadow World” & “Johnny’s Coaltrain” (available on Pure & Easy Records).

Q:Do you have other gigs planned?

A:Yes. We are on tour: SUN May 26-Tavern At The End of The World, Charlestown, MA 5pm -7
SAT June 1 - Middle East, Cambridge 6:50pm
SUN June 2- Out of The Blue, Allston, MA
AND - Don’t Miss the Gary Shane & the Detour Movie:
LIVING IT UP

Q:Have you fellows performed at the Hull shows - The Rat Beach Party?

A:I joined the Detour at the Rat Beach Party in Hull on 8/30/18.
We were asked to return to Hull as headliners a few weeks later.

with compliments,
Mach Bell



__________________________________________




________________________________________



No comments:

Post a Comment

Phil daRosa Faraday Saturday night WBCA 8:54 pm

  Phil daRosa Faraday from #BostonRockandRollAnthology21 @phillydmusic on @WBCARadio 102.9 FM #Boston #joeviglionemedia on @Spinitron ...